Medical Supplies and Assistive Devices

Medical Supplies
Your costs for diabetic supplies, surgical supplies and dressings should be entirely covered. You need to get a prescription saying what you need and how often. As are the cost of batteries and repairs for assistive devices.

However, costs for temporary items like crutches as a result of a temporary injury are not covered

Assistive Devices
You can get money for things like braces, wheelchairs, crutches, canes, etc.

The Ministry of Health pays for 75% of the cost of many items (wheelchairs, scooters, etc) through a program called ADP (Assistive Device Program). You are expected to cover the other 25% but if you are on assistance, they have to pay it. Also, if you need an assessment to get something from ADP, OW/ODSP has to pay for it.

Mobility aids, etc. not covered by ADP are discretionary so it depends where you live. If you are getting an item that isn't covered by ADP, you can likely still get what you need. In Toronto, you need to provide your worker with a letter from a specialist - not a general practice doctor. They may also ask you for 2 different estimates of the cost of the device (for example, from 2 different drugstores).

The waiting period can also be extremely long so tell your worker you can't get by without the device. OCAP has been able to speed up the process in getting medical devices, so talk to us if you need them, are in Toronto and not getting help from your worker.

You can contact ADP at 1-800-268-6021.

Orthotics
Orthotics are a discretionary benefit. In Toronto, you need a gait analysis, an estimate and a prescription to get them.